An Arrancar (破面 (アランカル), arankaru; Spanish for "To Tear Off", Japanese for "Ripped Mask") is a Hollow that has removed its mask and has gained Shinigami-like powers.
Arrancar are a group of Hollows that gained similar powers to that of a Shinigami by removing their masks.
Arrancar are the result of Hollows removing their masks. However, an average Hollow removing their mask would not be a problem for the Gotei 13: to hold their own against the Gotei 13, the ones removing their masks would need to be Gillian or stronger.
An Arrancar that was previously a normal Hollow, rather than a Menos-class, has been shown to be more powerful than some Vasto Lorde.
Arrancar and ordinary Hollows differ in several ways:
- Humanoid Form: A Menos usually takes on a Human shape when it becomes an Arrancar. The only ones that will definitely get a 100% Humanoid form are Vasto Lorde-class Menos. For the remaining two levels, there are many who don't get a completely Humanoid form, despite becoming Arrancar. Therefore, the closer one looks to a Hollow, the lower its power of reasoning. All Arrancar retain a hole in them somewhere, as well as fragments of their Hollow form (in the shape of protrusions and partial masks). Some Arrancar have claimed that they gave up their Human forms in order to obtain enormous power. While some Arrancar prefer to conceal the remnants of their past, others choose to hide their faces completely to escape unwanted attention. Most also have a colored marking of some sort on their face, although some only gain these markings upon the release of their Zanpakutō. A few cases that include visible markings without the release of a Zanpakutō.
- Physiology: Uryū Ishida theorized Arrancar share not only the powers of Shinigami, but also their anatomy. During his battle with Cirucci Sanderwicci, he aimed for the area where the Chain of Fate would be located, and upon striking it Cirucci immediately lost not only her release form and mask fragment, but seemingly all traces of her former power.
- Estigma: the pattern on an Arrancar's face. It is potentially the remaining part of a mask and is unique to each individual. The pattern may appear when performing Resurrección for some Arrancar.
- Hole: one of the most distinctive characteristics of an Arrancar is the hole in their body. It is said to represent the lack of souls that is difficult to fill.
- Zanpakutō: The Arrancar seal the nuclei of their abilities within the form of a sword. It is entirely different from what Shinigami use. When they release their Zanpakutōs' seals, they unleash their true power and their true form. The combat efficiency of an Arrancar with a released Zanpakutō is increased several times over. Therefore, an Arrancar's release of their Zanpakutō is merely a temporary restoration to their former selves, granting them any powers their Hollow form possesses. The act of release is called Resurrección (Spanish for "Resurrection"), which is activated with a command phrase followed by the name of the sword. An Espada's Resurrección is claimed to be different from that of a normal Arrancar.
Personality Traits & Mindsets:Edit
While most of the Arrancar either develop or retain their own personality traits, the majority of Arrancar appear to be similarly cold, cruel, ambitious, impatient, selfish, overconfident, ruthless, arrogant, impulsive, brutal, relentless, battle-hungry, overbearing, short-tempered, indifferent, and/or egotistical.
Although Arrancar are Hollows who have gained Shinigami-like powers, most still refer to themselves as Hollows.
Powers & AbilitiesEdit
Like Shinigami, Arrancar have a multitude of combat skills and abilities, some of which are similar to those of the former, and some of which are variations on ordinary Hollow powers.
- Bala (虚弾 (バラ), Bara; Spanish for "Bullet," Japanese for "Hollow Bullet") a technique of firing hardened spiritual pressure against his enemies. Less powerful than a Cero, but can be successively fired at 20 times the rate. [Requires 9 in SEI]
- Cero (虚閃 (セロ), Sero; Spanish for "Zero," Japanese for "Hollow Flash," "Doom Blast" in the Viz translation) a powerful spiritual light fired by Menos Grande and Arrancar. [Requires 6 in SEI]
- Gran Rey Cero: An Arrancar mixes his/her blood with a regular cero to create a more powerful version. [Requires 15 in SEI; must be at least AV-3]
- 'Cero Oscuras: '[Requires 21 in SEI; must be at least AV-3 and released.]
- Descorrer (解空(デスコレール), Desukorēru; Japanese for "Loosed Void", Spanish for "Drawing Back/Opening"): A technique used by Espada-level Arrancar, and sometimes others, to open a Garganta between the living world and Hueco Mundo. [Requires 9 in SEI]
- Hierro (鋼皮 (イエロ), Iero; Spanish for "Iron," Japanese for "Steel Skin") An Arrancar's outer skin with high spiritual hardness that serves as armor. [proportionate to HAN]
- Pesquisa (探査回路 (ペスキサ), Pesukisa; Spanish for "Inquiry," Japanese for "Probe Circuit") An Arrancar's ability to measure and locate Reiatsu. [Requires 13 in SEI]
- Resurrección (帰刃 (レスレクシオン), Resurekushion; Spanish for "Resurrection," Japanese for "Returning Blade") Releasing the core of an Arrancar's ability sealed in their Zanpakutō to regain the original powers their Hollow form. They often take on a form closer to a Hollow than a Human after performing Resurrección. [All Arrancar can use Resurrección]
- Sonído (響転 (ソニード), Sonīdo; Spanish for "Sound," Japanese for "Sound Ceremony") The Arrancar equivalent to a Shinigami's Shunpo. [Requires 8 in HOH]
- Gemelos Sonído: [Requires 18 in HOH]
- Caja Negación (反膜の匪 (カハ・ネガシオン), kaha negashion; Spanish for "Negation Box," Japanese for "Anti-Membrane of Negation") A tool used by Espada to punish their subordinates. It traps its subject eternally in a closed dimension.
- Bala: at least 9 in SEI
- Descorrer: at least 9 in SEI
- Cero: at least 6 in SEI
- Gran Rey Cero: at least 15 in SEI; must be at least AV-3
- Cero Oscuras: at least 21 in SEI; must be at least AV-3 and released.
- Hierro: is proportionate to HAN
- Pesquisa: at least 13 in SEI
- Resurrección: all Arrancars can use Resurrección
- Sonido: at least 8 in HOH
- Gemelos Sonído: at least a 18 in HOH